Wednesday 26 December 2007

Feliz Navidad!

Holidays in the Caribbean is magnificent--warm, sunny and great parties! Everything was closed over the holidays, so it was a bit hard to get to a computer to update my blog. There was a bug going around, so I've spent the past week making trips to the store for Gatorade, water and crackers. Luckily it skipped me, although I've had some wicked sinus problems lately.

Me, Sophie and Robin at Little Caye


It's hard to describe how or if I've been changing and why I've been so stuck here. I've been nervous to write because to update everyone would be to admit that I've been stuck in the same place for almost two months and that I haven't been bouncing around climbing mountains in Guatemala or surfing in El Salvador. I think that is definitely something that feels different--to just go with the flow and do what I want to do rather than what I ought to do.

I've been having an amazing time and made some amazing friends. It's incredible to be able to sit back and watch someone grow and change with a place all the while you are growing and changing with them. Part of meeting new friends also means adjusting my travel plans. I've been invited to Melbourne to visit Meg sometime next year, and Sweden to be shown around by Caroline and Kenneth, and Toronto to stay with Steve (or his mother, Dawn, who is one of the coolest 60 year old ladies I've had the pleasure to meet)....my options are limitless and the world seems to be getting smaller for me!

Above: The whole gange on Little Caye for Dawn's 60th birthday;

Right: Jon, Caroline, Kenneth and me on the boat to the Cayes


The diving has been great as well. It's interesting to move from diving for your own sake--to see amazing marine life--to diving for other's sake. I officially finished my dive master program two days ago, and it is strange to think this is all over now. My favorite part about all of this is getting to meet customers from all over the world and watch them become divers. At first awkward, nervous, insecure. And then slowly gaining confidence, learning about the marine life and wanting to dive more. It's incredible to be a part of that. It's incredible too (although not surprising), how many people return to the island. There's not even that much to this island. I hope someday I'll begin to understand what it is about this place that sucks people in.

I decided to spend the holidays here and will be leaving for the Dominican Republic on January 2nd. Luckily several customers as well as one of the instructors are all leaving on the same day on the same ferry as me, so I'll have plenty of company for the journey. Two of the customers from Guatemala even offered me a ride to the airport in San Pedro Sula (about a 4 hour drive), so I won't have to be bothered with the bus. I'm going to be leaving here with a heavy heart, I think, and leaving plenty of people that I've grown to care about a lot.

In the mean time, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Girlie-Girl, you mention a couple of times being "stuck" there, which has a slightly negative flavor that I don't think you mean. Perhaps the word you were looking for was "relaxing" there, or maybe "growing" or even "blossoming" there... or did you mean rockin' on? Or maybe smelling the roses? Or totally loving life?! It sounds to me as if you spent just the perfect amount of time there! I'm also excited for you, that your itinerary may morph. Don't you think this path of self-discovery and meeting international folks and growth through adventurous exploration is what the Bonderman is all about? While I'm excited about potential new destinations, just make damned sure South Africa stays on the list!! Je t'adore, darling girl. Linda