Saturday 15 December 2007

Los Cayos

One of the other Dive Masters in Training rented Little Cay for his mom's 60th birthday (she came down to visit) and invited all of us at the shop to join them. We had no clue that it was possible to rent a little bit of heaven for about $200 a night.

First of all, the weather was absolutely beautiful. I was diving in the morning on the Northside of the island doing a deep dive (120 feet) and navigation dives as part of an assist. We decided to look for whale sharks along the way, and by the time our boat was coming back there was an ominous dark cloud following us.

It stopped, though as soon as we hopped in a small green fishing boat and sped off towards the cays. We had an entire island to ourselves. There is a shallow reef that surrounds the entire island that is perfect for snorkling. I spent most of my time sun bathing topless under the hot Caribbean sun or laying underneath palm trees and reading (for fun!). It was the perfect little break from what has been a whirlwind of an adventure so far with my dive master training.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out what I am doing. I need to get a Brazilian visa soon, but I'm worried about getting stuck in some crappy capital city for the holidays since everything will be closed. It will be strange to spend Christmas and the New Year alone, and my friends in Utila keep trying to convince me to stick around for the holidays to spend it with "family." Anyways, I have no plans right now, and am thinking I'm heading to Panama for the holidays since my flight leaves Panama City on January 6th.

There is so much going on that it is hard to know what to write sometimes. I've had some bad things happen, like someone stealing my bike or one of my housemates breaking my iPod and not fessing up. But mostly everything has been great, and it's hard for me to stay upset about things. Folks at the shop keep telling me that they want me to stay and it's good to have me around. I've been told that if I want a job, I can always come back. Maybe I will. Who knows! I feel like I am only just getting started (again).

1 comment:

Paul said...

OMG! Are you kidding me? Did you swim with a whale shark?? Im soooo envious!