Saturday 17 November 2007

Island Fever!

The weather has been spectacular lately. It still is rainy occasionally, but for the most part it has been hot hot hot and sunny. I've had only one day where I didn't dive since I've been on Utila and I spent it relaxing all day in a hammock reading and then kayaking through the mangroves with a friend from another dive center. There were herons, iguanas and crabs everywhere.

Basically, the island is starting to get under my skin. Jeff, the crazy Texan guy, was telling me about a kayak trip from the lower lagoon up a canal that bisects the island to the north side where you have the entire beach to yourself. I also have some more bike adventures to take care of before I leave...if I leave.

It's strange that this is only my first stop, and it was so easy to start growing roots here. I'm thinking that I need to just pick a day and say that I leave that day no matter what. That was already supposed to have happened after I finished by basic open water course, but now I am already well on my way in the advanced course and having difficulties trying to convince myself to leave. Its just refreshing to be relaxed and meet good people and DIVE! I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, because I don't want to leave yet (or maybe ever), but I've only just started my travels. I've seriously thought about just giving back all the money and just staying here.

My new course is fun and teaching me a lot about diving. You learn a bunch of new skills, like wreck diving or deep diving (about 40 meters/120 feet down!). Today we'll be practicing underwater navigation and floating upsidedown (really we are just learning new skills to remain perfectly buoyant and not hit things).

The best dive so far was the night dive last night, though. We went around 6pm, so it was already completely dark. You have to just step out into the black water and try to stay close to the boat while everyone gets in the water (which is difficult to do with waves breaking over your head!). And then you drop down. We all had flashlights, so it's not actually that dark, and I saw some incredible creatures: a small blue octopus, a spotted lobster, shrimp. One guy even saw a barracuda. At the end you sit on the sand in the middle of the reef and cover your flashlight so it is dark. When you wave your hands little glowing specks appear everywhere like stars. I think the night dive has been my favorite so far.

It's hot in this internet cafe and too nice outside to be indoors.

Besos!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jen, I'm so glad you're loving it there... no rush to leave. You had a schedule in your mind, but perhaps -- in the end -- seeing fewer places and experiencing them for a greater length of time may lead to a more enriching adventure than skimming the surface of numerous countries. You may not have the same wonderful feeling about all the places you stop at, so enjoy! I'm glad you love it!

Unknown said...

Hi, Jen! Ballard sends a warm saludo. Maybe when you get back we can go diving in Lake Union! Okay, nevermind. Say hi to the turtles for us.
-Cameron

p.s. Clemo says, "Uuuhhh... It's no fun crunking without you!" His next words were, "I realized when I was at the gym that I have no food. Or should I say, not food enough to nourish me."