Friday 23 November 2007

Uncertainty

So, I just completed my rescue diver course today. I am now able to provide aid to panicked and responsive divers both above and below the water. It's strange because I feel so much more comfortable diving now that I know what to do if something goes wrong. The training was so fun too! We had instructors and dive masters having all sorts of diving accidents all over the shop and during dives. The best was when two instructors and a dive master jumped off the boat as we pulled into the bay. Three of us had to jump in and save the panicked divers (although mine tried to swim away from me!) while the boat turned around.

I've been meeting tons of new friends as well. Sophie and Meg from Australia, Robin from the UK, and Steve from Canada comprise the core group of folks I've become acquainted with, most of whom I've been diving with these past few days. There's also a whole slew of folks from the shop: Derrick from Holland, Martin from Norway, Jon from Wales....It's harder to meet locals because there is confusing sense of "local" here. The island was settled by white European immigrants as well as some Caribes and mainland spanish-speaking folks. So the local language is some sort of Caribbean/English/Spanish mix that is often times too thick for me to understand. There is a "locals" community that I am hoping to find. Supposedly there is only one entrance/exit, and there is nothing to see there (according to folks around the main strip). I still want to go, though, and see for myself.

I'm myself around here. I don't feel pressured or worried or stressed (except that I want to stay to do my dive master training--another three weeks--and I am worried that my doing so will somehow violate the conditions of this grant). I've never travelled this way. I've always tried to keep moving and see everything in as short amount of time as possible--everything scheduled and on a strict time constraint. But I haven't felt compelled to do that at all, and I feel so relaxed and happy right now.

Best of all, I feel challenged. I never thought that I would begin to understand how the ocean works and how massively wonderful and beautiful it is. I also never imagined myself staying here for more than a few days. I only intended to do my open water training, but have now completed my advanced and rescue diving. I haven't even been gone that long, and I already am doing things I never thought I was capable of or interested in.

Pending a response from my advisors for the Bonderman, I may be staying a bit longer around this area to do my dive master training. Otherwise, I guess I'll just move on (reluctantly!).

Besos!

No comments: