Tuesday 12 February 2008

Capoeira Capoeira

Morro de Sao Paulo was just like any other uber touristy island getaway--the Brasilians just have smaller bikinis, browner booties and more Capirinhas! There are no cars on the entire island, and the power went out completely about four times in the few days we were there, which meant no internet nor atms...funny how reliant most of us still are on modern technology!

I managed to get one game of beach volleyball in before my travel mate, Kellie, and I high-tailed our freshly brown booties out of there. I couldn't wait to get off the island, and kept feeling like I was wasting precious time there.

When we got back to Salvador we managed to find an apartment for the same price as a hostel for a few days before we head to Itaparica, a small quiet community, to visit a new friend we made in Morro de Sao Paulo. I ran into Jonatas, a capoeira friend of a friend, and we arranged to have capoeira lessons earlier today. They were quite expensive (we had no clue what the price should be and only now just found out it should be about half as expensive!) and quite strenuous. I was dripping sweat as we learned how to ginga, esquiva, meia lua de frente, armada, and queixada. Not that I can tell you what any of that really means and whether or not I'll be able to do it tomorrow, but it was fun!

Later Jonatas dragged us around to meet up with his friends to practice capoeira on the beach. Really this consisted of a bunch of fit brown men doing cartwheels, flips, handsprings, aerials, etc. on the beach. Afterwards, Jonatas passed us off to some other friends that were headed to drum practice in the original house of Olodum. We listened to them for hours completely in awe.
Tomorrow we are going to try capoeira again (although obviously ask for a better deal) and then we're off the quite little town of Itaparica to visit our friend. My time here is going way too quickly, and I'm thinking it's time to consider changing my plane ticket to stay longer so I can see more than just Salvador and get some afro-brazilian dance classes in.

1 comment:

Lara said...

"bunch of brown men"
oh god

i hate google. i hate google
i 'll just use dogpile next time i do a search