Monday 25 February 2008

Why Rio Sucks

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro yesterday afternoon after a 30 hour long bus ride from up north. I didn´t really plan to come to Rio at all since usually big, touristy, fake cities aren´t really my thing, but I decided to stay another month or so in Brasil and the only way to change my paper ticket to South Africa was to go to an office in Rio.

So, tearfully I had to part ways with my beautiful family--Rosa, Meiu, Raul and Gabi--in Lencois. Kellie and I had been staying in their house, and Rosa was absolutely lovely. She was helping us learn Portuguese and taught us how to make beijus. When she left, she and our other friends in Lencois all asked when we were coming back. I wanted to tell them I wished I never had to leave!

Now, in Rio, it sucks. I arrived and it was raining and the travel agency was closed. I found the first semi-close inexpensive hostel and it was pretty bad and FULL of Israelis (generally this is not a bad thing, but when you are kept awake from loud conversations in Hebrew and are bombarded by huge groups of Israelis traveling after their service in the military, it is ANNOYING!). I did meet a nice Argentine who happened to know a better hostel that I switched to today (also full of Israelis, but it is cheaper and much nicer).

It is beautiful outside today, but I have been wandering around, getting lost, and trying desperately to find the travel agency again. I finally had to take an expensive taxi, only to be told by the travel agent that he a) can only change one half of my ticket (I fly to New York, then South Africa, and he can only help the New York leg) and b) that there is nothing available until after April 9th. He said all of this as if he didn´t really care, which he didn´t, and when I asked for the nearest internet shop so I could call my travel agent in the states, he just said he had no clue and bye. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I hate Rio so far, and as soon as I change my ticket, I think I will leave!!

2 comments:

Lara said...

i am glad you didn't like rio.

this is a city that have many many negative things.
sucks in many ways. yes.

one of the positive aspects is: if you are infected with prejudice, you hate it, and you never come back.


this is a place where people can't live if they cant stand diversity.
hugs!

hope you enjoyed segregation in south afica!

Brasileirinho said...

well first off, just because a city is touristy doesnt mean its fake. Ive been to Rio several times and Rio is chalk full of LEGIT BRAZILIAN CULTURE. And just just because you had one bad experience doesnt mean you can judge a whole city. Sure, RIo has its problems but there is a reason why its called the cidade maravilhosa. explore Rio, learn more about it AND THEN come back and post LEGIT review of Rio