Tuesday 19 February 2008

A trekking we will go!

I just got back from a two day trek in the jungles of Chapada Diamantina where I not only climbed waterfalls and hiked to one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever been, but also managed to come back with a sun burn and some nasty blisters.

The trek was amazing! It was Kellie and me, three Dutch guys and our two Brasilian guys, one of which spoke no English. That ended up working in my favor, since he agreed to only speak to me in Portuguese and I understood everything he said with the exception of a few words. My Portugues, at least comprehension, is getting better every day, and I keep managing to make friends with locals who get a kick out of my limited Portuguese and the occasional slang words I spit out.

Our guides were crazy, and smoked pot every time we rested. However, they also cooked the best meals ever and carried most of the equipment from all of us in their own packs. In total we ended up hiking about 18km (I think that is around 11 miles), but much of it was straight up the side of the mountain or hopping from rock to rock up a river. I noticed this trip that I was a lot less squeamish about being dirty, stinky, getting eaten alive by every type of bug other than mosquitos, and drinking red/brown river water. I don´t even jump at cockroaches anymore!

I can´t really describe how beautiful the past two days have been. The jungle is probably a lot less lush than you´d think and the waterfalls twice as incredible. I´m still trying to harass Kellie to put her photos on the web so I can snatch them.

Anyways, Bob Marley and a nice cool drink are calling from the central square. Ciao!

No comments: