Saturday 19 January 2008

Bocas del Toro

Panama City was fun. My British friend, Nick, and I walked all over the city for the first few days. We explored the old colonial part of town, wandered around the central market area and got beers in the banking zone. I didn´t really know what to expect, but Panama City is huge and growing still, with huge posh restaurants, clubs and more highrises than Seattle. The nightlife in Panama City is pretty good as well, with tons of upscale clubs and bars. It´s funny because traveling sola means plenty of questions about where´s my esposo (husband) and are instantly telling me ¨you, I love¨when I explain that I am traveling alone.

Amorous men aside, I got my Brazilian visa with no problems at all. It was actually quite simple and I didn´t even have to turn in all the documents that the application requested. The little old lady working in the consulates office just told me not to worry about it and didn´t even mind that my application was technically not all the way filled out. Since I had finished my visa business already, and since diving in the Panama Canal would cost me $225 AND I would have to wait until there was at least one other person interested in going, I decided to hop on a tiny little plane with Nick to Bocas del Toro.

Bocas is good so far. It is quite touristy and a bit larger than I expected, but there seems to be plenty to do. It has a proper beach with great surf, good snorkeling and diving, and a handful of other islands to explore. I think I´ll stay here for a week or so and then start bussing it to San Jose, Costa Rica to catch my flight to Brazil. Ciao!

No comments: